Are you ready to conduct your first funeral?

Already this week, I have had 5 different men who had 5 different funeral circumstances to relay to me.  Among these scenarios, there were 2 common links.  They contacted me because they were either faced with doing their first funeral in a couple of days with no idea how to do it, or they were sharing they had just finished conducting their first funeral and read Conduct Gospel-Centered Funerals the day before to figure out how to do the funeral.  In the latter case, they were calling to say thank you.  Later this afternoon, Lord willing, I will meet with the interns of Clifton Baptist Church for a Q and A on Funerals and Weddings.

Many young men training for the ministry or have just gotten their first pastorate do not realize that their first funeral they will be called upon to conduct could be tomorrow.  In light of the topic of my conversations this week, I feel the need to exhort those of you who have yet to dive into the waters of funeral conducting, take time now to learn about it.  Plan out a few funerals in your mind.  Talk to other seasoned pastors about how they approach it.  And yes, feel free to pick up the funeral book Phil Newton and I wrote as its 100 page length is designed to be read in a couple of hours if the pressing need of a sudden funeral arises.

Are you ready to conduct your first funeral?  If not, you need to be.  Having 2 days to figure it out is not ideal.  Prepare now before a funeral comes.  Trust me, you will be glad you planned ahead on this one.

Posted in Book Recommendation, Funerals
7 comments on “Are you ready to conduct your first funeral?
  1. Luke says:

Brian, it’s interesting that you post this today because I had my first solo funeral yesterday. The funeral was for a one month old baby and as you said it came up very unexpectedly. I do want to thank you for your book that I had read several months ago, the insights allowed me to avoid many pitfalls. I had also benefited from John MacArthur’s book, Safe in the Arms of God, and Bryan Chapell’s book, The Hardest Sermons You’ll Ever Have to Preach. Thank you for your own resources and the many you have recommended. The insights helped me to minister and bring glory to God in a very difficult situation.

2. Ken Ritchie says:

Thanks for the book suggestion. Actually, I ordered “The Hardest Sermons You’ll Ever Have To Preach” right after I saw your review. It came in the mail one week before my first funeral. It was incredibly helpful, I will buy this one as well.

Know that you are appreciated for what you do.

Ken Ritchie

3. Marc Mullins says:

Brian, I must say your book was priceless as I did my first funeral in September. I especially appreciate your advice and gracious approach to ministering to a family whose loved one may not have been redeemed.

4. Steve says:

Is there any way this material could be made available electronically, Kindle?
    we are in africa.

Where in Africa are you? Could you send me an email address and what you want and I can see what I can do?

• Steve says:

Morning, apologies for the late response, we were out of town.
        I have an IPad which is now my central repository for Bible, literature, sermons, notes and such. I live in Richards Bay, South Africa where I am on eldership. In 10 years we did not have a death in the congregation, well not that needed our services locally, recently however . . So finding your book is a blessing, and since you have the inspiration and capacity to have written this, I beleive it would be valuable, for myself as well as those I may have the priveledge to coach.
        electronic media would be great, this way it can always be at hand, and referenced even while traveling. If this is not available and a big ask, I understand.