Husbands, here is some very practical advice on ways to communicate love to your wife. This is what I shared at the men’s luncheon on Monday at the Berean Baptist Church Marriage Conference and we had a great discussion about them. Use them as a template to know how to best make your wife feel loved and cherished by you.
1) Before you touch her body, touch her mind and heart. This comes straight from the CJ Mahaney playbook and is the basis of the next 9 suggestions. This idea comes from CJ’s excellent book, Sex, Romance, and the glory of God.
2) Sweat the small things. It is common to say, “Do not sweat the small things.” I disagree in this case. Read this previous post and see why.
3) Encourage her in areas she thinks she fails. Your wife has them. If you do not know what they are, start there and ask.
4) Study her. We study our sports teams, hobbies and home projects and know them well. How much do you study to know your wife?
5) Date her. We have all heard this advice. Just do it…regularly.
6) Write words to her. Cards, text messages, emails. Write kind and encouraging words. She may read them over and over again long after you have forgotten you even wrote them.
7) Ask specific questions. See this previous post for a common list I give our men.
8) Be thoughtful. Do things that she knows required some time and effort from you.
9) Be patient. She may not respond like you hope. Make sure you are not loving your wife expecting something in return.
10) Pray for her. Maybe the most significant way your wife will feel loved by you.