We have had many new babies born into our congregation in the last several years. Pastors, seize every opportunity to go to the hospital on these occasions to see new born babies. It is some of the only times you go to the hospital to celebrate.
Here is a list of 10 practical tips:
1) Be mindful of the stress and lack of sleep of new parents.
2) Be sensitive to the mother’s recovery.
3) Introduce yourself to family in the room.
4) Clean your hands.
5) Hold the baby (if comfortable doing so).
6) Enjoy it!
7) Read Psalm 139:13-16.
8) Pray for the parents.
9) Plead for the soul of that child.
10) Be aware of how long you stay (typically less than 20 minutes).
Here is a previous post that explains further a few of these practical tools that you might find helpful. This kind of ministry can be a great way to get your “feet wet” in going to hospitals, getting comfortable in them, and preparing for those harder hospital visits that are certain to await every pastor going into an older, established church.