Why is Practical Shepherding important? Here’s one reason–these staggering stats. These troubling numbers show the risk of those who set their hands to the plow of this noble, but costly work.
• 70% constantly fight depression.
• 50% feel so discouraged that they would leave their ministry if they could.
• 50% of pastors will not be in ministry in five years.
• 80% believe their pastoral ministry hurts their families.
• 80% of ministry spouses feel left out and unappreciated.
• 70% do not have someone they consider a close friend.
• 90% say they have not received adequate training to meet the demands of ministry.
• 85% have never taken a Sabbatical (44% no weekly day off).
• 80% will not be in ministry in ten years.
• 250 pastors leave the ministry every month.
• 4,000 churches close their doors every year.
**Research provided primarily by Soul Shepherd Institute and Pastoral Care Inc.